1040X Tax Form: Everything You Need To Know

If you have recently made changes to your tax return, or if you think you may have made a mistake on your return, then you will need to file Form 1040X. This form is used to amend an already-filed tax return. In this post, we will discuss everything you need to know about IRS Form 1040X! We will cover what information is required on the form when you should file it, and how to correctly complete it. Let’s get started!

What Is IRS Form 1040X?

Form 1040X is the amended version of the standard 1040 form that most taxpayers file when they first file their taxes. If you need to file an amended return, you will use Form 1040X. The reason for filing an amended return could be because you forgot to include something on your original return, or because the IRS made a mistake and you need to correct it. Whatever the reason, if you need to file an amended return, you will use Form 1040X.

Who Needs To Fill IRS Form 1040X?

You would need to file IRS Form 1040X if you want to correct your previously filed tax return. If any of the information on your tax return has changed since it was originally filed, you will need to file Form 1040X to update the IRS records.

  • If you have recently married or divorced, you will need to use Form 1040X to change your filing status.
  • In addition, if you have discovered that you made a mistake on your tax return, you can use Form 1040X to correct the error and claim any additional refund that you may be due.
  • Finally, if you did not receive the refund that you were expecting, you can use Form 1040X to request an additional refund from the IRS.
  • If you need to correct a more recent return, you will need to file a new return rather than using Form 1040X.

When You Should File IRS Form 1040X?

In general, you should file Form 1040X within 3 years of the date you originally filed your return. However, if you are amending your return to claim a refund, you must do so within 2 years of the date on which the tax was due. Note that Form 1040X cannot be used to make changes to a return that has already been amended. If you need to make further changes to a previously amended return, you will need to file another Form 1040X.

How To Fill The Form?

  • You will need to provide your name, address, Social Security number, and the tax year being amended.
  • You will also need to indicate whether you are filing an amended return as a result of an audit, changes to the law, or corrections to your original return.
  • Once you have completed the form, you will need to attach any supporting documents and mail them to the IRS.
  • Depending on the reason for the amendment, you may also need to include additional forms or schedules.
  • Amending your tax return can be a complex process, so it’s important to consult with a tax professional if you have any questions or concerns.

Things To Consider About IRS Form 1040X

Filing an amended return can be a complicated process. It’s important to understand all the ins and outs before you get started. Here are a few things to keep in mind if you’re thinking about filing IRS Form 1040X:

  • You can only file an amended return if you’ve already filed your original return. So if you haven’t filed your taxes yet for the year in question, you’ll need to do that first.
  • You generally have three years from the date you filed your original return to file an amended return. However, there are some exceptions to this rule. So it’s important to check with the IRS to see if you’re eligible to file an amended return for your particular situation.
  • When you file an amended return, you’ll need to include all the relevant supporting documentation. This might include things like updated W-2 forms or 1099s, as well as any other documents that will back up the changes you’re making to your return.
  • It’s important to note that filing an amended return doesn’t guarantee that your tax bill will go down. It’s possible that you could end up owing more money to the IRS after filing an amended return. So be sure to do your homework and consult with a tax professional before you make any decisions.


No one knows your tax situation as you do. If you’re feeling overwhelmed or uncertain about how to complete your amended return, reach out for help. There are plenty of resources available, including tax professionals and the IRS itself. Don’t let the stress of taxes keep you up at night. Get the help you need and rest easy knowing that your amended return is in good hands. Thanks for reading!

Leave a comment